Gaia is the word for "unity-of-life-processes". The experiment here is to unify the various threads of voice and sense of self together into an undivided unity. Spirituality, economics, politics, science and ordinary life interleaved.

Thursday, October 13, 2005

ID #1

I was travelling Thailand on a little motorbike three years ago, speeding through primaeval rainforest. I had just left behind years of yoga and energy work (mostly striving to come to grips with the feminine aspects of self, body and emotions), and a professional career as a journalist in Melbourne. Australia though big physically is like a little bubble of consciousness really, and leaving it burst that invisible membrane of Australian shallow high spiritedness within me. It was like being reborn. It was the fruition of my years of seeking for truth.

As I rode, a great swelling storm of emotion rose up through my spine and heart and burst out the top of my skull and suddenly I was lifted clear of my body and into a visionary space. A living memory from another world and another soul, that was much more "me" than the person I had been striving to become in my worldly pursuits, arose and I became this other person.

He was an aryan-style warrior, fighting on a bloody field. His name came to me as he died, he was a higher being, one of the arya, witnessing the end of some primaeval civilisation he had been part of, a great matriarchy full of wisdom and beauty. His heart was full of sadness and wonder at the coming transition, and he knew that the great civility of his time wouldn't die with him but be reborn again and again until it won over the barbarians that had defeated him.

All this flashed in a timeless instant into experience. I don't know how I drove the motorbike whilst out of my body, but I did safely. And in a flash of ecstacy I returned to my body and pulled the bike in by a little waterfall. I threw off my damp clothes plunged into the icy water and felt incredibly alive and exciting by what I had experienced. The water felt amazing. Everything was so bright!

So began the loooong struggle to integrate this aspect of my self. Which is, perhaps, another story for another time.

 
follow me on Twitter