Gaia is the word for "unity-of-life-processes". The experiment here is to unify the various threads of voice and sense of self together into an undivided unity. Spirituality, economics, politics, science and ordinary life interleaved.

Wednesday, February 20, 2008

A possum business

Today I visited the bank and discovered a young male possum scampering between the cars and trashcans, trying to find somewhere to hide. I stood and watched as about six people walked past and smiled or laughed at his plight; my heart went out to him in pity, but I could see I was powerless to help.

After using the ATM, I turned around to note the possum had fled across the road and was bashing against the glass window, trying to get at the greenery behind, of a government building. I went over and two other people stood around wondering aloud what to do with me.

I went to the phone box and rang directory assistance for the RSPCA Emergency. The Emergency line gave me the number for Fauna Rescue. Then my coins ran out, so I ran across the road to the other two people and gave the 40-ish woman the number to ring on her mobile.

Fauna Rescue said they would only come out if we could trap the possum in a box. The woman told me to get a box.

So while the woman - Christine she said her name was - talked further, I went and got a cardboard box. Luckily it was rubbish collection day today and I made a huge mess on the street of cardboard pieces filling one of the boxes. But I got a great big nice box and Christine and I stared at one another, wondering "How do we do this?"

We closed in on the possum with the box open. Now possums are pretty smart with entrapment; he knew exactly what was up, so he fled around the corner into the revolving door.

My heart sank: he was going to escape!

I leapt around in a surge of adrenalin and shoved myself between the exit from the door and him. He leapt up in the air about a foot, hissing, frightened and exhausted. At that precise moment I thrust the cardboard box around him and called for Christine to fetch a piece of cardboard. We closed the box over carefully, and Christine said she would wait for Fauna Rescue to turn up. I got her to weigh down the lid of the box with her armani purse and left: I was late from my 7pm meeting.

So that was my adventure for today.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
follow me on Twitter