Gaia is the word for "unity-of-life-processes". The experiment here is to unify the various threads of voice and sense of self together into an undivided unity. Spirituality, economics, politics, science and ordinary life interleaved.

Friday, February 08, 2008

What I totally hate about classical music

You know what I totally hate about classical music?

When I play a "keyboard" concert, say by Bach, and someone's decided to use a piano instead of a harpsichord. What, couldn't they be assed hiring a harpsichordist?

Or even worse, if I hear a "string" concert, say by Handel, and someone's playing a guitar. As if that isn't the most overused and overrated instrument in the entire field of music. Why not use a lute like he intended?

Here's the deal for the next few decades and probably centuries:Piano and guitar are auditory cliches. They are passe already. They are so common they are the musical version of oxygen and nitrogen.

Simply put: when I hear a violin or lute or harpsichord my heart leaps; when I hear a guitar, my belly rumbles for a hamburger.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
follow me on Twitter